Don't Kiss Santa This Christmas

Ah, Christmas, my favorite time of year. Tis the season for parties, great food, meeting up with family and friends that I haven't seen in a long time and yes, don't remind me; a season for getting the cold or flu.

As lovable as Santa is, I am gonna think twice about letting my child anywhere him, let alone kissing him.

You never know, Santa might be bearing gifts other than toys for children. Him living all the way in the North Pole he just might be having the sniffles or worse.

Last Christmas, I used my radiator heater heavily because I hate living in a cold house. Despite the heating and wearing multiple layers of clothing outside, I came down with the flu once and had the sniffles a couple of times.

Maybe a 'couple sniffles" is not bad but when I got the electricity bill, it wasn't the sniffles I was worried about, it was my heart. Man was it high!

Any how, maybe I can use a little less heating this season and include extra practices that will help me from falling prey to the flu.

So here is what I am gonna do

1. Get more sleep. Not sleeping enough can make your body more susceptible to sickness by decreasing the amount of cells dedicated to fighting bacteria.

2. Practice good hygiene. Isn't this something our parents drilled in us from a young age so as not to spread germs.

When you sneeze, do so in a tissue and not in your hands. If you are using a public bathroom, wash your hands and then wipe them in your own tissue.

Before and after meals wash your hands.

Getting some of those antiseptic hand wipes is also a good idea for wiping hands. My grandmother always said "a clean wash and a dirty wipe makes no sense"

3. Drink clean water, filtered preferably. Keeping the body properly hydrated helps keeps the tissues of the respiratory system moist which helps prevent bacteria from settling and making us ill.

4. Take It Easy. A body that is under stress is more susceptible to catching a cold. People that are under stress often have low energy, a sure sign that their immune system is feeling the pressure.

Get a message, meditate, do yoga, see a movie, listen to music etc. Such activities will do wonders for you.

5. Air Out The Place. Perhaps last year I used my heating too often and didn't open the windows enough. By opening the windows, you'll be letting out potentially harmful pollutants that could attack your immune system.

6. Take supplements. Dietary supplements give you the vitamins, antioxidants and other nutrients that you might not be getting from food. These nutrients promote immune system health and give you more energy.

Even if you think you are eating a balanced diet and that you don't need a good multivitamin, think again. The soil our food is grown in is so nutrient-deficient that by the time you cook it, whatever little nutrient it had might be totally gone.

So do yourself and your children a favor right now. Take a quality multi vitamin and antioxidant supplement today and boost your immune system. And please, say hi to Santa for me.

0 comments:

Post a Comment