How to Avoid Adding a Turkey to Your Waist Over Christmas

During the Christmas holiday season it is common to put on around 10lbs of weight. This can be attributed to the disruption of routine, consumption of extra calories and being generally less active during the festive season. About five years ago, I had a bet with some trainer friends and tried to see if I could put on 1 stone (6.5kg) during the 2 week break. I was surprised at how easy it was and I actually managed to achieve more (16lbs, 7.5kg).

The method was simple, I didn't attempt to keep any control over what I ate, if I fancied some crisps or cake I had it. I'm not a big drinker, but I'm sure I could have done a lot more damage to the scales if I consumed alcohol and fizzy drinks during the 2 weeks. I was still exercising, but only cardio during the spin classes that I was teaching at the time. Something as inconspicuous as a mince pie could add nearly a pound of fat over two weeks. A pie per day will add about 200 calories, over two weeks that's an additional 2800, and one pound of fat is equal to 3500. Add to that the other goodies that are around the house and giving into temptation can easily add an extra 2000 calories per day.

But Christmas is a time to let go a little, right?

Yes, I agree but you can still enjoy your Christmas break without trying to set a new record for total calories consumed while sitting around the house watching movies; one of my own personal favourite activities.

Take the following steps to avoid adding a turkey to your waist during the break:

o Taking a little responsibility for the foods and drinks you consume will make the biggest difference; enjoy your Christmas dinner but is it really necessary to have an extra portion of Christmas pudding?
o Plan your meals and snacks and keep a food diary to monitor how well you are keeping to your plan.
o Do a little light exercise each day, just some mobility and stretch work will prevent your body from seizing up.
o Do three workouts per week, 30 minutes will be long enough - just work with intensity using body weight resistance exercises. This will keep your metabolism stoked up and have you burning calories for the whole day.

0 comments:

Post a Comment