What is Abundance If You're Starting From Scratch?

I never thought about abundance when I was a child, and maybe I didn't think about it until I heard about Robert Kyosaki and then I saw the movie, The Secret. I had always thought of myself as middle class and was happy to be able to pay my bills and to go on a two week vacation when I wanted and had the time, and skiing some weekends during the winter. Mostly, I liked being home where I could garden and sail during the summer and visit with friends. This was abundance for me.

After reading many of Robert Kyosaki's books, I realized that working should be by choice. There were several income streams that didn't require daily (much less hourly) attention. And, best of all, a person didn't have to be born wealthy to have "an independent income" (Virginia Wolfe). When I read Virginia Wolfe, I believed that by an accident of birth I had already lost out on the independent income. This is not so in this decade.

What is abundance to you? You get to decide. If you want to be able to travel to Europe for a long weekend, or visit family members for their birthdays, you decide. If abundance for you is being able to buy from better retail stores, or paying off your credit cards at the end of each month, you decide. However, the common element in all these ideas is an independent income -- independent of a 9 to 5 job.

How do I Build an Independent Income?

An independent income is never built from a 9 to 5 job, even if you are the corporate CEO. Although, these days they are able to get multimillion dollar contracts, even so, a CEO is not able to leave any time s/he wants to go on vacation. So, even with a huge salary, a salaried worker is still beholden to the whims of the corporation.

If we look outside of the 9 to 5 job, we have music, sports, writing, public speaking/training, real estate and the internet as possibilities. If you are starting out with a nest egg, we can include investments in other people's businesses or in the stock market. And, if you have advanced training or credentials in some specific market, you can think about consulting.

But, if you don't have special training or a nest egg, you are pretty much relegated to music, sports, writing, public speaking/training, real estate and the internet. Now, for the first two, you need some talent. What if you don't have great talent?

Now we're down to writing, public speaking/training, real estate and the internet.

Which is the Easiest and Fastest Way to Build Abundance?

It does depend on your inclination, but right now it's not easy to get into real estate with "0 down" as so many of the training programs promote. And, the market is volatile, so I'd recommend waiting for a little while unless you already have a couple of down payments.

We're down to writing, public speaking/training and the internet. And, if you build an internet site, using some basic writing skills, then you can actually promote yourself as a speaker and trainer. In a little over a year or two (depending on your interest niche), with no prior experience, you can build a website that earns $5000 a month. How does that sound? It's not abundance, but you will be on the way.

0 comments:

Post a Comment